Saturday, April 22, 2006

Insulin pumps & Bifocals!

Here is an update for those of you who are following our boys health situations.

Aubrey- He is doing great on his insulin pump. Just like with shots it is a lot to get used to and we are still learning and making changes every day but I think we all agree (especially Aubrey) that going from 4 shots/day to only one infusion site change per 3 days is a great improvement. We put some "magic cream" on him before we change the site and it numbs him up so he actually does not feel anything. He calls his infusion sets "confusion sets" which gave all the nurses a great laugh at our training. We completed our last training this past week and it had a tremendous outcome. Aubrey has to alternate his infusion sites between his upper bottom/hip and his belly. In the past he has never let us give him shots in his belly so we knew getting an infusion site in there would be a challenge. We have only been using hip/bottom for the last two weeks until he was used to things and then this past Monday we had to go in for our final test.... the belly insertion. We were really afraid that he would scream and yell when he saw the needle and it would take 3-4 people to hold him down. Mommy and Daddy were very nervous! We tried to prepare him by telling him the magic cream would help him not to feel it. After much stress and worry and prayer, he shocked us all including the nurses! He laid still and barely let out a wimper while we inserted it! He was so good we had to give him some Easter candy for a treat!!
So now we are still changing numbers etc. but we feel like we are finally getting used to the system and his numbers are slowly getting better. Keep Praying!!

Eli- We went to a new doc this week to get a 2nd opinion on Eli's vision situation. I was so glad we did . The doc we saw was great! He explained everything in depth and made me feel very comfortable! He figured out that the patch therapy was not working and that the prescription we had was not strong enough to correct his eyes. He decided to up the prescription in his glasses, add bifocals (poor guy), and start dilation drops. Each morning now I have to put a drop in his strong right eye to blur the vision so his left eye will strengthen and be forced to work. I feel mean doing it but this doc says it is the best way to correct his vision. Apparently it is pretty common in these cases and several people I know have had success using these drops. Thankfully he also said that surgery is a last resort which I was glad to hear. I was very paranoid about sending a 2 1/2 year old in for eye surgery. Anyway, so far he has handled the drops well. It is hard to get it in but once it is in he acts normal. Please keep praying that this will work so we do not have to do surgery.

Baby #3- So far all seems ok. I am definitely growing and feeling pretty good now that I am out of the first trimester. I have gained about 3 1/2 lbs but my tummy looks like more than that! I guess it is true when you get to the 3rd baby you bloom a lot faster. I have been a little stressed due to Aubrey and Eli's situations and I am praying that the baby will not be affected by that. Everyone seems to think that it is a because my pregnancy has been so different. I go back to the doc on Tuesday for my 16 week check up and we will find out what the baby is in about 2 weeks. We will know soon if it is Nathaniel or Faith. Keep us all in your prayers.

No comments: